Studio DAR Sutton
An artist residence in Sutton:
exploration and multidisciplinarity
D'Arts et de rêves is a non-profit organization created in 2015 which aims to promote creation in three artistic disciplines – visual arts, literature, and contemporary circus arts – and to facilitate the accessibility and appreciation of these arts by the public. This organization recognizes itself in the values of democratization of the arts, exploration and sharing of artistic experiences, and collective production.
By its nature-culture vocation, D'Arts et de rêves offers an experience combining appropriation of the natural environment with artistic creation. To this end, it has established and operates a seven-acre cultural park open to all, where sculptures and artwork are installed, as well as a creative space open to artists of the three targeted disciplines. The residency allows artists to explore, to experiment, to develop their projects and their art in a spirit of innovation, interdisciplinary sharing, as well as sharing with the arts community and the people of the region.
D’Arts et de rêves is not only rooted in the community, but it is also open to local, regional, and national communities. The beautiful natural environment of the region, in addition to its artistic vitality, provides an environment conducive to resourcing and creation.
In 2021, the organization is offering a $ 1,500 grant, a three-week stay at the residence, as well as access to one of the studios for each of the following disciplines: literature, visual arts, and circus.
These grants are awarded by a jury appointed specially for this selection. In order to apply, the artist must use the Studio DAR Sutton Grant Application form and submit a specific dossier.
For all information on grant selection criteria and grant applications, please refer to the Studio DAR Sutton Grant Competition Tab.
Call for projects for Studio DAR Sutton Residency Program
- Town of Sutton in the Eastern Townships of Québec where culture and nature converge, fostering a fertile environment for creation.
- In the heart of a vibrant, diverse, and dynamic artistic community: Sutton has a high density of artists and features art galleries, artists studios, and a theater where shows and films can be enjoyed.
- An environment where both French and English cultures merge to form today’s Québecois culture.
- Magnificent mountainous area in the Eastern Townships
- Winter and summer sports: skiing, hiking, biking, outdoor activities
Studio DAR Sutton: The residence and studios
- Renovated barn, dating from the last century, at the entrance of a seven-acre cultural park, situated near a creek and within walking distance of the heart of Sutton
- Designed to accommodate up to three (3) artists at a time: private rooms and common areas (bathroom, kitchen, dining room, and workspaces).
- Internet access, printer
- Linens and towels
- Washer and dryer
- Three studios available for artists:
- The studio room, allocated in priority to literary artists
- Studio A: dimensions 25' x 25' x 25' (7,6 m x 7,6 m x 7,6 m)
- Studio B: dimensions 25' x 32' x 15' (7,6 m x 9,8 m x 4,6 m)
- Residence open year round
- Length of stay: from two to six weeks
- Residence available for artists only.
- Rooms are single occupancy
- No overnight guests accepted. Lodging facilities (inns, B&Bs, hotels) available in Sutton for artists’ guests. A list is available upon request.
- Cost :
- The cost for access to the residence and studios varies according to space used and duration of stay. To find out more on terms and conditions, please contact us at: email@example.com
- Transportation, supplies and meals are the artist’s responsibility
- Personal work equipment, including computer and telephone, is the artist’s responsibility
- Non-smoking environment in the residence
- A contract will be signed with selected artists specifying the responsibilities of each party
Conditions for applying
- To be recognized as a professional artist as defined by the Conseil des arts et des lettres du Québec (CALQ ) and the Canada Council for the Arts (CCA).
- Provide a complete dossier (see below) which will be evaluated by a jury; two artists practicing different disciplines can present a joint dossier (according to health measures in place)
- Be available to meet and mediate with the public during the residency.
Responsibilities of the host organisation
- Greet artists upon their arrival and introduce them to surrounding resources.
- Facilitate the exchange and cooperation between the invited artists and artists from the community.
- Organize meetings with the public.
- Ensure cleanliness of the facilities for the beginning of each stay.
- Application dates for 2021 - 2022:
- March 31, 2021 (for residency between July and December 2021)
- May 15, 2021 (for residency between January and June 2022)
- August 15, 2021 (for residency between July and December 2022)
- A jury made up of artists from the visual arts, literature, and contemporary circus arts selects the residency projects.
- Jury meetings take place according to application deadlines, a response will be sent to you by email following this meeting.
- Once the artist receives à favourable response from the jury, the artist must confirm his or her stay within two (2) weeks by signing the contract and sending the first payment.
- Quality of the artistic path
- Innovative character of the project
- Importance of the project in the artist's career
- Artist’s openness to disciplines complementary to his or her own
- Desire and ability of the artist to communicate with the public
- Artist’s adherence to the organization's values
Your file must be sent electronically as a single PDF document (The maximum size allowed for the PDF file is 3 MB). Add these items together in a single PDF file. Then complete the online submission form to attach your PDF file:
- Project submission form
- Description of the proposed project (maximum three (3) pages)
- Artist approach (maximum one (1) page)
- Recent Curriculum Vitae (maximum three (3) pages) and link to a website, if any
- Literature: 10 pages of text extracts
- Visual art: 10 digital pictures and / or three (3) videos (send link or use medium resolution)
- Circus arts: 10 digital pictures and / or three (3) videos (send link or use medium resolution)
- Press kit and / or list of publications if applicable (maximum five (5) pages)